In ancient times, Zemun was known as Taurunum. The oldest written traces of today’s name of the city date back to the 12th century. Town has been inhabited since the Neolithic period. For centuries, Zemun developed completely individually from main city of Serbia, Belgrade, and for the most part during the history two towns belonged to two different states.
Zemun is one great promenade that leads you through history and its beauty of authentic atmosphere. The town of boats, tradesmen and craftsmen, winding streets under the caldron, gastronomic miracles, different peoples and cultures, has been and remains well known for the hospitality and uniqueness of its inhabitants. The center of bohemian and artistic life, where time is running slower… That’s why Zemun is the place where Belgrade hid its soul.
- Gardoš Tower
Gardoš Tower, also known as Kula Sibinjanin Janka, is a memorial tower located in Zemun. It was built and officially opened on 20 August 1896 to celebrate a thousand years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonian plain.
Gardoš Fortress is the oldest building in Zemun, which is mentioned in the IX and XI century. In the middle of the fort is a Gardoš tower. Fortress of Zemun was first destroyed at the end of XI century due to the First Crusade. During the first half of the XII century, fortress is often mentioned in connection with the Byzantine-Hungarian war.
Today, from the former fortification, a square citadel is preserved, located at the plateau above the Danube. In each of the four pillars of the citadel, facing the sides of the world, there are the remains of large circular towers. Here is located the studio and gallery Čubrilo, today.
- Zemunski kej
Located on the right bank of the Danube, in the immediate vicinity of the confluence of the Sava into the Danube. On the opposite side of the Danube is Banat, and in the middle is the Great War Island. For several years now, the head attraction on the Zemun promenade are swans, who have found a quiet place here for life, and every day “saluting” the visitors.
Zemunski Kej is the main Zemun’s landing area for numerous boats. One of the largest hotels in Belgrade, “Hotel Jugoslavija” is located in the here, but it has been closed since the NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999. It was opened partially in 2007 as the largest casino in Belgrade. The bank in front of the hotel is a location of many restaurants and clubs on barges, one of the focal points of the vibrant Belgrade’s nightlife.
It is also location of several old and famous kafanas in Zemun, like Venecija, Stara Kapetanija, Šaran, etc.
- Nikolajevska church (St.Nicholas Church)
It was completed in 1752 at the site of an older, straw-covered, wooden Serbian church. It was designed and built in baroque style and constructions. Inside the church, besides the high and richly carved iconostasis with the icons of Dimitrije Bacevic, there are wall paintings, icons and flags, as well as other inventory of importance for the cultural and economic history of Zemun. The building represents not only the oldest preserved Serbian church in the old core of Zemun, but also in Belgrade. From the church leads the cobbled street one way to the Gardoš Tower, and the other to the Zemun promenade and well-known restaurants, such as “Šaran”, “Reke”, “Venecije” and others.
- White Bear Tavern
The house is the only remaining example of the typical Balkan architecture in the Old Core of Zemun, from the period of Ottoman rule. It is also mentioned as a place where the prince, the Austrian military leader Eugene Savoysky, stayed in 1717.
It was built as a dual-use facility with apartments on the upper floor and a White Bear Tavern on the ground floor. Below White Bear Tavern there is an underground corridor, more than 20m long. It led to a large wine cellar, in which former birtashers kept wine.
- Library “Saint Sava”
Slavenoserbska library of Zemun was founded on the Saint Sava on January 27, 1825. and its nominal founder was Mojsej M. Lazarević, a trader. The Zemun Library owns over 1000 library units in 1830. During the 19th and 20th centuries, the library often changed addresses, but never left the old core of Zemun. In 1989 it was annexed to the City Library. Through the library all Serbian famous people from public life, writers, painters, musicians, actors, critics have passed.